Bauhaus Weavers

About Me

My photo
Central Virginia, United States
Weaver, Jewelry Maker, Seeker

Search This Blog

Saturday, June 4, 2011

To Judge or Not to Judge?

Why is it so hard for me to approach my work with an attitude of non-judgement?

Julia Cameron ( The Artist's Way Every Day ) writes:
"As artists, we wish we could always work well, but we must settle for working always. The 'always' we can control. The 'well' we cannot control. For this reason, we do well to simply serve, to focus more on the process of doing our work than on the 'product' of work produced."

This is what I'm trying to do and it's hard for me. I want to judge as I go along. Yet...how can I judge the relative merit of what I make? I can't. I can only make it. I block myself from finishing pieces because I fear making a mistake and perhaps ruining a piece. But how can I know and how can I grow if I don't take risks?

Over the past couple of days I've started pushing on finishing a piece that includes weaving and collage. Progress stalled because I feared going forward. Now it is time....to just....DO....IT...and enjoy the process.

Julia is right....the process...that IS what it's all about.

Pictures coming soon!

Oh...and by the way...the piece I'm working on isn't one of the pieces pictured above.

No comments:

Post a Comment